Mountain View, CA 94039
Out in Suburbia
HOW TO BUY
- Community Groups/Public Libraries, $40:
- College/University, $85:
- Individuals and public librarians can stream Out in Suburbia on VIMEO.
Bold, upbeat, and powerful, this 28-minute video spotlights eleven suburban women, ranging in age from 25 to 67, who speak easily and frankly about their families, friends, and loves. A lesbian teacher talks about her struggle to come out to her students. A lesbian couple shows off the baby bedroom they have prepared for their new arrivals, twins. Out in Suburbia is perfect for beginning the process of raising lesbian issues and consciousness for the first time.
"Truly wonderful! Thank you for designing a film that can reach people and convince them that lesbians don't live on another planet."
—Margaret Matlin, Psychology Professor, State University of New York
"This 28-minute video about lesbians in the suburbs is a model of how to make an accessible, honest, and life-affirming statement directed at mainstream viewers."
—Vito Russo, The Advocate
"In sharing their experiences about their lives, these women expose the shallowness of commonly held stereotypes and make an eloquent case for treating all people with respect."
—Landers Film Reviews
- National Council on Human Relations
- Judge's Award, Sinking Creek Film Celebration, Nashville
- Women in the Director's Chair
- Montreal International Festival of Films & Videos by Women
- Audience Favorite Documentary, SF International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- Citation: "Importance of Subject", National Educational Film and Video Festival
- Finalist, American Film Institute's Independent Cinema, Washington, DC
Questions? Email us!