Mountain View, CA 94039
Liberty: 3 Stories About Life & Death
HOW TO BUY
This extraordinary film interweaves the stories of three close lesbian friends: Joyce Fulton, who died over the course of two years from a brain tumor; Mary Bell Wilson, who, with indefatigable courage, faces up to her own losing battle with lymphoma; and Nan Golub, a black-leather-jacketed, platinum-dyed New York city artist, very much alive. Liberty demystifies death, dispels misinformation about age and sexual orientation and reminds us that life is worth living, even worth celebrating.
"Incredible and moving. Liberty manages to make death and dying real and, at the same time, full of love and support.This is the way all of us would like to die, I suspect."
—Linda Weckler, MSW/School of Social Work,
Carleton University, Ottowa
"A beautiful program. Courageous and joyful."
—Tim Ramirez, LOGO MTV Networks
"Social conservatives may attempt to portray the gay community as outside the rights and joys of the 'traditional' family but in the end, Liberty proves that everyone should be so lucky to have such love, support, and sense of community as these women. Where there is love, there is life, and where there are both, there is liberty."
—Cinequest, The San Jose International Film Festival
"For those who work with older adults, Liberty offers thought-provoking perspectives on care giving, the need for culturally sensitive services, and the diversity of family structures."
Lesbian and Gay Aging Issues Network of the American Society on Aging
"Liberty vividly portrays the value of friendship and support in caring for the sick and dying. A must see for my gerontology students in 'Women in the 2nd Half of Life'!"
—Vivian Silva, MSW/Gerontology, San Jose State University
"We can learn many things from this film: what constitutes family; what kinds of support people need when facing surgery, cancer treatment, and death; and how we can enhance that support."
—Katherine Handy, PhD, RN,
Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist,
St. Vincent's Cancer Care Center,
New York City
"An extraordinary celebration of lesbian community."
—NewFest, The New York Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- InFACT Documentary Showcase, International Documentary Association
InFACT qualifies documentaries for consideration in the Academy Awards®
- LOGO, MTV Networks' historic new gay and lesbian channel
- Best Short Documentary Paris Lesbian Film Festival
- American Society on Aging and National Council on The Aging Joint Conference
- National Mature Media Silver Award/Healthcare Division
- Bodies in Crisis, Athens Institute for Contemporary Art Athens, Georgia
- IDA's Four City Tour (San Diego, Little Rock, Austin, and Seattle)
- Cinequest San Jose International Film Festival
- Ashland Independent Film Festival, Ashland, Oregon
- PhilaFilm The Philadelphia International Film Festival
- Port Townsend Film Festival Port Townsend, Washington
- Lesbian & Gay Film Festivals:
- Outfest, Los Angeles
- Newfest, New York
- InsideOut, Toronto
- Frameline, San Francisco
- Reeling, Chicago
- Lesbian Looks, Tucson
- Berlin Lesbian Film Festival
- Paris Lesbian Film Festival
View PDF of Study Guide
Questions? Email us!